There are a number of ways to protect your home or apartment from unwanted intruders. Here are some possible solutions. Rank them in order of importance to you.
Here are some words and expressions that appear in the video:
highly (adverb): very, to a high level or standard
– James is a highly qualified teacher in our program.
asset (noun): a useful or valuable thing
– Maria is a real asset to our company. Her experience has helped our company improve sales for the past several years.
guard dog (noun): a dog that is trained to guard a place
– We have a guard dog that watches over our place while we are gone.
traumatic experience (noun phrase): a shocking experience that affects you for a long time
– Someone broke into our house and stole a number of things. This was a traumatic experience for our entire family.
ground floor (noun phrase): the first floor of a building
– I would prefer to live on the second floor instead of the ground floor for safety reasons.
Now, watch the interview and answer the comprehension questions. You can also turn on the automatically-generated captions for the video once you start it.
Finding the ideal home security system for your place can take some research. Do you need a full-scale system including motion detectors to protect your dwelling, or is there a similar solution like a watchdog? Use the Internet to review two companies and their products and review the advantages and disadvantages of these solutions.
The following activities deal with related topics to give you additional language practice.