General Listening Quiz
What images come to mind when you read the title of this conversation, “Personal Security: Theft in the Park”? What people might be involved: men, women, and/or children? What time of day is it? What is stolen? Write down your ideas.
“eat humble pie” = be humiliated or forced to be humble
“The theft had to eat humble pie when he attacked my wife, and she beat him up using some karate moves.”
“lay a finger on” = touch with the intent to do harm or do something you shouldn’t
“Don’t even think about laying a finger on my french fries. They’re all mine.”
A. Listen to the recording and answer the questions.
Discuss these questions in a small group:
- Have you ever been in a situation where something was stolen from you? What happened and were your possessions ever recovered?
- What can people do to protect themselves from theft at home or in public?
- Are there any special precautions tourists should take when traveling to another country?
Protecting yourself online from identity theft is an important step in personal security. Use the Internet to find answers to these questions:
- What is identity theft and phishing?
- What are three ways thieves steal your identity?
- What are four ways you can protect your identity?
- What online services are available to help you keep your identity secure?
- How much do these services cost and what do they do exactly?