General Listening Quiz
|intermediate||snow skiing||man – woman||01:27|
What are some typical sports or recreation activities that people enjoy in your area? In this conversation, you will hear a man and woman discuss snow skiing. What specific gear or equipment do you need for this sport? What are the dangers or risks of snow skiing?
“cold feet” = fear of doing something
“James was going to ask Ashley out on a date, but he got cold feet and couldn’t do it.”
“give someone the cold shoulder” = ignore someone or give someone a cool reception
“Elizabeth gave Ryan the cold shoulder when he tried to apologize for forgetting her birthday.”
A. Listen to the recording and answer the questions.
Do the vocabulary quizzes with the words from the conversation for more practice:
Describe a recreational activity you enjoy doing in your free time and answer these questions:
- What is the name of the activity?
- Do you do this sport alone or with a group of people?
- What is the object of the activity (for example, you want to score the most points in a game of basketball)?
- What are the basic rules of the sport?
- In what countries is this activity popular?
- How much experience do you need to play?
Use the Internet to learn more about one of these unusual activities. Use the questions above to help you research the sport:
- polar bear swimming
- dog sledding
- snow tubing
- ice sailing
- snow biking
- snow kiting