General Listening Quiz
“Homestay in the USA”
|man – man
Some international students want to live with a homestay family when they study in a foreign country. In your opinion, what are the advantages and disadvantages of such living arrangements?
“eat out of house and home” = eat everything in the house
“Teenagers are always hungry, and they will eat you out of house and home if you let them.”
“bed of roses” = something isn’t easy or without problems
“Living in an apartment with roommates isn’t always a bed of roses.”
A. Listen to the recording and answer the questions.
Do the vocabulary quizzes with the words from the conversation for more practice:
If James does homestay with the family in the video, what do you think will happen? Why? Give three ideas and explain your reasons.
There are a number of companies that help students find homestay opportunities. Search for a company online and review the company’s Web site. Collect information on the following questions.
- What is the name of the company and Web site?
- How long has this company been in business? (When did the business first start?)
- What is the mailing address and telephone number of the business? Why can this be important?
- How does the company check each family they list on their Web site?
- What kind of reviews of host families are available on the site?
- How much does it cost to use their service?
- What kind of agreement or contract do you sign when making arrangements with a host family?