More of Randall's Favorite Learning Resources
[ Text Completion Quiz | Quiz Script | Explanation of Answers ]
||news report||man - man||01:31|
In small groups, try to predict the following ideas about the news report before you listen:
|1. Pre-Listening Exercises [Top]|
- the setting, or where the action is taking place (e.g., in the country side, along a beach, in the city, at sea, in the jungle, in the mountains, etc.);
- how long has the war being going on;
- problems that have resulted from the war (e.g., hunger, loss of life, orphaned children, blackouts, sniper attacks, starvation, disease, malnutrition, looting, landmines, etc.)
2. Present the group's predictions orally to other groups or the rest of the class. These ideas can be written on the board.
|2. Listening Exercises [Top]
Listen to the conversation by pressing the "Play" button of the audio type you want to hear, and answer the questions. Press the "Final Score" button to check your quiz.
[ Other Audio Options: Play RealMedia | Play Window Media ]
Listen to the conversation again as you read the Quiz Script.
Read the Explanation of Answers.
Do the Text Completion Quiz.
|3. Post-Listening Exercises [Top]|
- Pretend that it is one week after the original story was broadcasted, and you have been asked to report on the recent events of the conflict. First, write your story in about 50 words and then read your story. Share your production with your group or the class.
- Use a search engine to find an article(s) that discusses one or more problems associated with war. Write a short essay on the information you found. Give a short presentation to the class or in a small group.
- Discuss the following ideas with another student:
- the greatest areas of conflict in the world and how they affect you directly or indirectly
- the main causes of these conflicts
- the keys to resolving these problems
Now, write your opinions on a similar topic at Randall's ESL Blog HERE.
Randall's Sites: Daily ESL | ESL Blog | EZSlang | Train Your Accent | Tips For Students | Hiking In Utah