General Listening Quiz
|intermediate||college textbooks||man – woman||01:51|
What are the advantages and disadvantages of buying new or used books for school? Do you pay for your own books or do your parents pay for them? Do you pay cash or do you buy them using a credit card?
“bookworm” = a person who spends a lot of time reading
“She’s a real bookworm, and she spends most of her free time reading.”
“hit the books” = study very hard
“You’d better hit the books hard tonight because the final test won’t be easy.”
A. Listen to the recording and answer the questions.
Do the vocabulary quizzes with the words from the conversation for more practice:
What is your favorite Website for buying books? Do you think companies charge students too much for textbooks? If so, what other things can students do to save money on school books . . . besides just copying them.
Think of a book you want to buy. Search for it using two or more Web sites that sell new or used books. Then answer these questions:
- How much does the book cost, new and/or used?
- How much is shipping and handling?
- Do you have to pay any form of sales tax, and if so, how much?
- What is the company’s return policy?
- Can you find an online review for the company, and if so, what does it reveal about its service?