General Listening Quiz
“Personal Profile – Script”
Listen to the recording and read along with the conversation. Review the key vocabulary and the sample sentences.
Hi. My name’s Greg, and I’m originally from Denver, Colorado, but my family moved to Arizona when I was about 3, so I grew up there. I graduated from high school about three years ago, and I’m currently attending a university in my city. I’m a junior, and I’m majoring in economics with a minor in Spanish. I also work part time as a cashier at a grocery store. Life is really busy, but I enjoy hiking, reading, and hanging out with friends in my free time. When I graduate, I want to work for a company in this area.
Vocabulary and Sample Sentences
- originally (adverb): in the beginning, in the first place
– My mom is originally from a small town in Texas.
- currently (adverb): now, at this time
– She is currently working as a server at a restaurant.
- attend (verb): go to
– I want to attend a school near my family.
- junior (noun): third-year student
– He is only a junior, so he has another year to graduate.
- major in (verb): have as one’s main field of study
– I’m thinking about majoring in restaurant and hotel management.
- cashier (noun): a person who receives and pays out money at a store
– Kathy found a job as a cashier at a restaurant.
- grocery store (noun): supermarket
– My brother works full time as the manager of a grocery store.
- hang out (phrasal verb): spend time with, socialize
– We usually hang out with friends after school.