General Listening Quiz
“Party Time – Script”
Listen to the recording and read along with the conversation. Review the key vocabulary and the sample sentences.
Jori: Hi Dave. [Hi] Happy to see you could make it. Come on in.
Dave: Wow. Looks like the party’s in full swing.
Jori: Yeah. And they’re eating me out of house and home. Oh, I’d like you to meet my sister, Carol. She’s visiting for the weekend.
Dave: Oh. Which one is she?
Jori: She’s sitting on the sofa over there.
Dave: You mean the woman wearing the red sweater with the long black hair?
Jori: Yeah. That’s right. Let me introduce you to her. I just know you two will hit it off. You’re both so outgoing and adventurous.
Dave: Uh, and who’s the man sitting next to her? The man with the suit jacket and flashy green tie?
Jori: Oh, that’s Bob, my karate teacher.
Dave: Karate teacher! I never knew you were into karate.
Jori: Yeah, I started about two months ago. Come on. I’d like you to meet them.
Vocabulary and Sample Sentences
- good to see you could make it : happy to see you could come
– It’s really good to see you could make it.
- full swing (idiom): at its high point
– The party really got into full swing around midnight.
- eat someone out of house and home (idiom): they’re eating all of my food
– My teenagers have huge appetites and are eating me out of house and home.
- hit it off (idiom): get along well
– My roommate and I hit it off from the very first day we moved in.
- outgoing (adjective): very friendly and sociable
– He is very outgoing and always makes newcomers feel comfortable at a party.
- adventurous (adjective): willingness to try new things
– If I were more adventurous, I think I would try mountain climbing.
- flashy (adjective): brightly colored or unusually decorated beyond normal standards
– She tends to wear flashy ski wear during the winter season.