General Listening Quiz
“Party Invitations – Script”
Listen to the recording and read along with the conversation. Review the key vocabulary and the sample sentences.
Heather: Hey. John. This looks like a great party. [Yeah!] Than . . . thanks for inviting me.
John: No problem. Glad you could make it. Hey. Have you met any of the famous guests so far?
Heather: Uh, no. Who exactly?
John: Well, there is Gregorio Zuttlemisterburger . . . [Who?]. Ah. They call him the “Grip” for short.
Heather: Who in the world is he?
John: You’ve never heard of him? [No.] He’s the world famous snake trainer . . . He’s never met a snake he couldn’t train to dance and hiss at the same time.
Heather: Seriously? Where is he?
John: Oh, he’s the tall guy over there in the purple jacket and green pants. He probably has a snake or two with him tonight.
John: And then there is Georgina, the Great.
Heather: Georgina . . . and great for what?
John: Are you serious? You’ve never heard of her? She’s the world’s greatest arm wrestler. I mean, World champion. She’s the petite woman next to the fireplace with the bright yellow dress and the tennis shoes.
Heather: I thought you said famous people . . . like, like people we all know.
John: And, and then there’s Brad Pitt . . .
Heather: Now, there’s someone I recognize . . .
John: . . . the captain of the national Yo-Yo team [What?]. Yeah. He’s the short, stocky man sitting at the table wearing the black and red checkered shirt. I’m sure he’d do a few tricks for you if you asked.
Heather: Uh, no thank you. I think I’ve had enough entertainment for one evening.
Vocabulary and Sample Sentences
- famous (adjective): well known by many people
– My sister is very famous because of her popular novels.
- guests (noun): a person invited to a party, a meal, or some special occasion
– We need to prepare enough food for thirty guests who will be attending the event.
- exactly (adverb): specifically
– So, where do you live exactly in the city?
- petite (adjective): thin, slender (used for women)
– My sister is very petite, so an extra small shirt would suit her best.
- stocky (adjective): solidly built and often strong, but not tall
– The stocky man over by the table is the host of the party.