General Listening Quiz
“Happy New Year”
“turn over a new leaf” = change personal habits
“I’ve decided to turn over a new leaf; I’m going to exercise three times a week and not play so many video games.”
“ring in the new year” = celebrate the new year
“We’re going to ring in the new year at my sister’s house next week.”
A. Listen to the recording and answer the questions.
What things did you do with family and friends to ring in the new year? What special foods did you eat? Do people in your country have any special traditions they do on that day?
Choose a country you want to learn about and study more. Use the Internet to find answers to these questions:
- What is the name of the country?
- What unique activities do people do on this day to celebrate the new year?
- What special clothing do people wear?
- What special foods do people eat?
- Do people give or send any special gifts to family and friends? If so, explain them.