General Listening Quiz
|difficult||wedding venues||man – woman||02:43|
What goes into a wedding in your country including activities, food, and a reception? Describe these things to someone who is not familiar with your country and culture.
“love is death” = to have extremely strong feelings of love for someone
“I love my sister to death because she will do anything for you. She paid for my wedding dress and helped me send out all of the wedding invitations. Now, she is going to pay for the wedding photographer, too!“
“fall head over heels in love” = fall deeply in love with someone, sometimes suddenly
“Jorie fell head over heels in love with my brother the first time they met.”
A. Listen to the recording and answer the questions.
A few decades ago, getting a credit card was somewhat difficult and almost im
Marriage customs, traditions, and rituals differ from country to country and from community to community even within the same country. Discuss these questions about your culture with a partner:
- What is the average age for a first marriage for both men and women?
- How do people meet and court each other?
- How long is a typical courtship?
- Who pays for different costs with the wedding and any reception?
- Where do people often get married?
- What do the groom and bride wear? How about the guests?
- What happens at a typical marriage? What activities do people do?
- What foods are often served at such events?
- Where do people go on a honeymoon if this is common practice?
possible for students with no credit history. Now, many students have their own. However, finding the best card is often difficult. What do you think are the dangers of having a credit card?
Choose a country below. Then, use the Internet to collect information on the questions in the Post-Listening section above. Share your ideas with a partner.
- Saudi Arabia