General Listening Quiz
What are some reasons why people hunt for animals? Is hunting legal in your area? What types of weapons are used for hunting?
“shoot down” = stop something
“He shot down my idea of ordering pizza because it was too expensive to order.”
“bark up the wrong tree” = make an incorrect choice or arrive at an inaccurate conclusion
“I told you. I didn’t take your book. You’re really barking up the wrong tree.”
A. Listen to the recording and answer the questions.
Discuss the different positions, for and against, hunting in general and in your area if permitted. Include in your discussion ideas related to the possible need for providing food, regulating natural animal populations, and hunting for sport. If hunting is permitted, how can people do it responsibly?
In many places where hunting is permitted, laws and regulations often have been established to regulate hunting safety and practices. Select a place in the world to determine if hunting of any kind is permitted. Use the Internet to answer the following questions:
- Is hunting of any kind permitted?
- What kinds of animals may be hunted?
- Are there specific seasons when hunting is permitted?
- What type of hunting license is required, and how much does it cost?
- Are hunters required to take classes or go through specific hunter’s training to receive a license or permit to hunt animals?
- Is there a limit on the number of animals that can be taken during a hunt?
- What penalties are imposed if hunters violate any laws?
- Are there any environmental reasons why limited hunting can help regulate animal populations in some cases? If so, give a specific example.