General Listening Quiz
“Home Cleaning Service”
|man – woman
How clean is your house or apartment right now? Are there some areas of your place that get cleaned more often than others?
“clean up your act” = improve your behavior
“Hey. You’d better clean up your act, or Mom will throw you out of the house. You can’t be rude to her like that.”
“start off with a clean slate” = start things new again (children used to write on slates that could be erased)
“You had some problems here at home in the past, but I hope you can start off this year with a clean slate. Everyone needs a new beginning from time to time.”
A. Listen to the recording and answer the questions.
For each item below, explain who in your house is responsible for cleaning these things and how often this person does it (once a day, two times a week, once a month, every day, almost never, etc.):
- washing the dishes
- cleaning the kitchen floors
- straightening up the bedrooms
- cleaning toilets and the shower
- cleaning the windows
- vacuuming the carpets
- dusting the furniture
- washing and drying the clothes
Use the Internet to find information about a house cleaning service, if possible, near where you live. Then, answer these questions:
- What is the name of the company?
- How long has the company been in business?
- What cleaning services are included?
- Do they bring their own cleaning supplies and cleaners?
- What are the cleaning costs, and how are they determined?
- What kind of cleaning plan or schedule is offered (e.g., they can come two days a week)?
- What guarantees does the service provide on its work?
- Is the company insured in case one of its workers gets injured on the job?