General Listening Quiz
|man – woman
How common is bullying at school or even at the workplace in your country? In what ways is cyberbullying a serious problem, and how is it different than bullying in the past?
“be or feel down” = be or feel sad
“James has been really down lately because he has few close friends at school.”
“pick a fight” = start a fight
“Some of the kids are always trying to pick a fight with our son for unknown reasons.”
A. Listen to the recording and answer the questions.
Have you (or someone you know) ever experienced bullying at school or in your neighborhood? If so, explain the situation, how you felt, and how things turned out for you. Have you bullied someone in any big or small way? Why did you do it? What led you to stop at some point (if you did stop)?
Use the Internet to find information on these questions:
- How is bullying in person different from cyberbullying (for example, you can cyberbullying someone else 24 hours a day, 7 days a week)?
- What are the effects of cyberbullying on people?
- What are the warning signs of cyberbullying?
- What are ways in which people are cyberbullied on the Internet?
- What can people do to protect themselves from cyberbullying?
- Are boys or girls more likely to bully other kids? Explain.
- Are people who are bullied more likely to suffer from depression or die by suicide?