If you don’t have a good map of the city you are visiting, you might have to ask a lot of questions to find yourself around. Look at the expressions below and be sure to understand the meaning of the places on the map before you begin the listening activity:
- go straight
- go down this road
- turn right/left
- drive along this street
- walk down this avenue
Study the map. Then, listen to each sentence and choose TRUE or FALSE. Review the script to this listening activity at the bottom of the page.
Using the same map below, give directions to a partner and see if he or she can find the right building.
- First, walk down Green Street for two blocks. Then, turn right and the bank is the third building on the left side. (7)
- Go straight down Yellow Street until Blue Street. The school is on the corner of Yellow Street and Blue Street. (19)
- Drive along Green Street to White Street and turn right. Next, go straight one block, cross Brown Street, and the library is the first building on the right corner. (22)
- First, go down Yellow Street for one block, turn left, and then go to the first intersection. Then, keep going straight, and the hotel is the second building on the left. (13)
- Walk along Green Street until Black Street. Then, turn right and go straight, and the church is the last building at the end of the street on the left. (9)